The Callander Public Library was first opened in 1935 on Lansdowne Street. This building was also used as the Township Office. The original Library/Township Office building burned down and was then replaced with a new building in the same location. On March 17, 1979, the library was moved to the current location on Catherine Street in what was once the Callander Post Office building. Nora Alkins was the first librarian and a long time member of the Library Board. Helen McDonnell arrived as the first library CEO in 1991 and then was followed by Natalie Wilson in 1998. Alison Peden became the CEO in 2000 and was followed by the return of Helen McDonnell in 2012.
Today, our library continues to be a hub for our community, offering innovative programs and dynamic services lead by our current CEO, Melissa Sones.
Left to Right: Stan Darling(MP), Ben Bullock(Reeve), Nora Alkins(Librarian), and Lorne Maeck (MPP)
Our Library today